Once the warranty period, many users take the opportunity to make an operation known as modding root, allowing you to use the 100% all the potential of the Android device. Some after this procedure, install a custom rom, or a customized system (for example, a later version of the Android operating system).
Root, custom rom… but what I am?
To answer this question, I refer you to the excellent post of Luis Ortega AndroidPIT:
The root, English “root”, is a process derived from Linux and Android systems also applied to obtain superuser rights and thus have unlimited access to the system and the right to modify it to your liking by real developers. It's similar to when you become amminstratori Windows system.
Caution! I do not assume any responsibility for damages (any brick) or data loss due to misunderstanding of devices to guide the user. This guide is for informational purposes only and is working with all Android versions (personally tested with Oreo, the latest update for the ZE520KL)
- PC with Windows
- Zenfone 3 ZE520KL
- Internet connection
- Minimal knowledge of the English language and the world of modding
Resources used in this guide
- Backup your device (both data, app is)
- Official Tool for unlocking the bootloader – LINK (Select Android menu S.O., download the version for your version of Android from the Utilities section)
- ADB Tools – LINK (Unzip the zip file to a folder)
- TWRP (personalized Recovery) – LINK (Press Latest Build and move it in the same folder where you unzipped ADB Tools)
- Custom ROM (Only if you want to install a custom ROM) – At the time of this writing advice ArrowOS (based on Android 9.0 Pie) – LINK (download the latest version) the POSP (Potato Open Source Project, based on Android 9.0 Pie) – LINK
- OpenGAPPS (Still if you want to install a custom ROM) – LINK (Select the system architecture (for ZE520KL is ARM64), select the version of Android that you want to install, select the edition you want to install (It is provided a table that shows all the differences between the various editions WHO))
- Magical (Root) – LINK (Scroll to Downloads and then press the link Latest Stable Release)
- magical Manager (App to manage root permissions) – LINK (Scroll to Downloads and then press the link Latest Magic Manager)
- Make a full backup Of the device, since the unlocking of the bootloader erases data. Council to write down the app installed (perhaps with the ListMyApps app on the Play Store) and moving the various files on the PC. A useful guide:
Put your data safe is crucial considering that a large part of our digital lives we spend on our smartphones, it becomes clear that knowing how to do a full backup Android is now a key thing. Unfortunately, the green robot, the situation is a little’ fragmented and universal method is not always feasible on all smartphones.
- Unzip the zip file containing the official tool for unlocking the bootloader and install it on your device. Follow the procedure for unlocking.
- Once unlocked bootloader, complete the device initialization procedure (if you want to install a custom ROM, not to place your Google Account or other things, jump all over, so go directly to the home screen).
- Enable Data roaming in Settings > Connections> Mobile network. This step is very important, otherwise you will not be able then to use data roaming with custom ROM installed
- Enable Debug USB smartphone by going to Settings > developer options. If the Developer options are not active, you must go Settings > Info > software and press 7 Number of times Build (these instructions may vary according to the installed system)
- Connect your PC and your phone via USB cable
- Enter the folder where you unzipped ADB Tools and perform the key combination Shift + Right click on a window of the empty space. To select Open Powershell window here (this command may be Open the command prompt in older versions of Windows 10).
- To type .\adb devices and press enter (NOTE: On the command prompt (black screen, compared to the blue Powershell) remove .\ from each command)
- If there is an item in the list of devices, then we proceed with comand0 .\adb reboot bootloader to enter mode fastboot.
- Now we have to install the TWRP (a custom recovery). Move the file to the folder where you unzipped ADB Tools and run the following command: .\fastboot flash recovery <filename>.img replacing <filename> as the TWRP file you downloaded before.
- Once the installation has finished, restart through the command: .\fastboot reboot reboot e, when you see this screen awards Volume down to access a menu:
Use the Volume keys to scroll through the options and select Recovery.
- Now, scroll down to enter the menu, choose Settings and set options such as Time Zone, tongue, etc.
- With your phone connected to the computer via USB cable, access to internal storage of your phone from the PC and copy the zip file here Custom Rom, in OpenGAPPS, di Magic
- Back to the main menu and press the TWRP Clean up. Awards first Formatta data. Once you are finished go back and prizes advanced Cleaning and select Dalvik, Cache, Data and Cache.
- Upon submission process, returns to the main menu and choose Install. Select the Custom ROM file you want to install and slide to begin the process. Back when it finished and repeat the process for OpenGAPPS (if you've downloaded the version Aroma you ask you a few options during installation) and then to Magisk.
- Reboot the system.
- Once you are at the home screen of your smartphone, transfer internal archive of the APK file Magisk Manager and install it as a normal APK to manage root permissions required by the various app.
The guide has been tested personally and completed.
Asus Zenfone Applications 5
Download the required files WHO. Open Magisk Manager on your smartphone and select modules from the menu. Press the button + and select the zip file you just downloaded. Restart.
Download Google applications not compatible
Open Magisk Manager on your smartphone and select Download from the menu. Google Search Framework and awards Downloads. Make tap Install. Delete the Play Store. If it does not work, restarts.
Solving common problems
issue 1 – Errore DM-Verity
Resolution: Unable to resolve. The only way would relock the bootloader but if you want to keep the root and all the customizations applied to your device, you can not
Updates of this guide
20/06/2019: Updated links for downloads
02/02/2019 – Clarification of the point 10, the point 14 and solved problems with images
27/11/2018 – Added step 4