Mozilla has updated its Firefox browser to version 59. The enhancements are primarily “under the hood”, that is not visible immediately, but that increase the daily user experience. According to official changelog on the Mozilla site, Firefox has obtained general improvements in speed and performance while browsing the web, but also new features for Firefox Screenshots and other minor. In particular:
- The loading times are faster for content in Firefox home page
- It has been sped up the loading of pages by uploading them from the network cache or cache on the user's hard drive (Feature name: Race Cache With Network)
- Improved graphics performance with Off-Main-Thread Painting (OMTP) for users Mac (OMTP for Windows was released in Firefox 58)
- Support has been added to “drag and drop” (drag and drop) to reorganize the main sites in the Firefox start page
- New features have been added to Firefox Screenshots:
- The basic annotation allows the user to draw and highlight saved screen
- Crop screenshots again to change the visible area of those saved
- Improved WebExtensions API that includes better support for decentralized protocols and the ability to dynamically adjust the script with content
- Improved ability to real-time communication (RTC):
- Implemented RTP transceiver to give the pages a more detailed control over calls
- Implement functionality to support large-scale conferences
- Added support for the W3C specification for pointer events and better integration of the platform with support for additional devices for the mouse pointer input, pen and touchscreen
- Added search engine Ecosia as an option for Firefox German
- Added search engine Qwant as an option for French Firefox
- Added settings in about:preferences to prevent web sites to ask to send notifications or access to the camera, the microphone and the position of the device, still allowing to trusted Web sites to use these features
- Fixed various security issues (specifically reading who)
- Firefox Private Browsing mode will remove the path information from the referrer to prevent tracking across sites
It has not been solved in this version bug causing Windows users 7 using accessibility services (like the keyboard on Windows screen) the browser crashes after upgrading to Firefox 59. As a solution proposed by Mozilla, interested users can prevent app external enable accessibility services in Firefox.
But there's more! several innovations have also been introduced for the Android version of the browser:
- Added Firefox as Assistant app to allow users to initiate a search by holding down the Home button
- Added support for HLS playback (HTTP Live Streaming) for better compatibility with video sites
- corrected security vulnerabilities
- Firefox Private Browsing mode will remove the path information from referrals sent to third parties to help prevent the loss of third-party data
- At page “about:” It has been removed. Instead, use the dialog box “About Firefox”.
- Captures video in full screen landscape mode
Finally, The Firefox version of iOS, the number 10, get important news:
- redesigned Menu
- Now the new tab page includes the most visited sites, the pages you visited recently and the Pocket tips. The “Highlights” appear when opening a new tab so you can easily return to a site previously displayed. trendy pocket Stories are available in a new tab (in the United States, Canada and Germany). You can change the appearance of the new board “Settings”.
- The search suggestions are enabled by default, unless you've previously disabled.
- mode “No image” to allow the automatic locking of the images from loading. This can be useful in areas with low connectivity or low bandwidth.
- New option to open links copied from the clipboard.
- Full compatibility and support for the latest Apple devices, even iPhone X
- They have been added 12 new languages, including Afrikaans (of), Bosnian (bs), Spanish Argentine (is-AR), Galician (gl), Armenian (hy-AM), interlingua (he), khmer (km), kannada ( kn), Malayalam (ml), Odia (or), Punjabi (pa-IN), Sinhala (and)
- It is again possible to fill the password field in your forms with 1Password!
- Fixed several issues with the context menu
- Several problems with the long press on links and images
- Improvements to night mode
- A storage “behind the scenes” faster should give birth to more streamlined overall experience
What do you think of the new Firefox?